Friday, June 10, 2011

Greens--Not Always Easy (Sorry, Kermit)



You know how we feel about pea shoots, that oh-so-flavorful green that would make even the most reluctant vegetable eater pause.  I generally procure my supply on Sunday at my local Farmers' Market, and have at least two or three day's worth of fabulous sauteed greens to round out my dinners.  Imagine my shock and dismay when I arrived at my green guy's stall this past Sunday around noon to discover that the pea shoots had sold out!

"Say it ain't so," I said, "you don't close for another two hours!"  But alas, the pea shoots were gone.   A restaurant from 20 miles away had come to the market when it opened and scooped the entire supply, curse them.  "Fear not," said my devoted farmer (I'm paraphrasing a bit), "for I have these daisy greens that I believe will please you.  They have a bit of spice, but saute them as you would the peashoots and I feel sure that you will enjoy them."

What kind of foodie would I be if I recoiled from trying a new vegetable, especially during our A-to-Z produce feature?  So I bought two large bunches and home I went.  The following evening, I rinsed, chopped, and sauteed the daisy greens in garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper.  I am sorry to report, Phellow Phoodies, that I did not enjoy them.

Sadly, the greens had an uncomfortable taste combo of acerbically bitter and cloyingly floral-sweet.  Kind of like eating the personalities of Archie and Edith Bunker, but not nearly as funny.

Henceforth, I will roust and motivate myself on Sunday mornings instead of Sunday noons, thus ensuring a better selection at the Farmers' Market.

No comments: