Thursday, September 27, 2012

The Cupcake Diaries - Georgetown's Coconut Cupcakes



My daughter and I have twice tried to get into Georgetown Cupcakes in D.C.  We failed each visit.  The lines were just too long.

A couple of weeks ago we visited Georgetown on a wet, windy cold, late Summer weekend and guess what...?  No lines.



We zipped in immediately and breathed in deeply.  The smell of sugar, chocolate and all things sweet baking was heavenly.

And the store was just so reassuringly girly.

Pink boxes and exquisitely iced cupcakes lined the walls of the store.

We bought a box of six - we only intended to buy one each but just couldn't decide between the red velvet and the chocolate ganache or the coconut and oreo cookie cupcake.  There are just too many flavors from which to choose.

So what's a girl to do?

Buy the cookbook of course.




We did and have so far cooked the coconut cupcakes.

'Pon my word, my cupcakes were as good as the one I tasted in D.C.

The chocolate ganache didn't go so well.

I messed up because I mismeasured the flour (don't ask, it's too dumb.  Let's just say I really should wear my reading glasses when baking.)









Want to try your hand at baking one of these?  The recipe can be found here.Coconut Cupcakes

I learned a few things from the D.C. cupcake gals:

  1. Sift the flour onto parchment then put to one side.  Why you ask?  I don't know the answer, but I do know this step resulted in perfect fluffy cakes.
  2. Remember to leave the butter out of the fridge.  It's impossible to combine with the sugar if it's too hard and then you're left twiddling your thumbs, waiting for it to soften...
  3. Sift the powdered sugar.  Again I'd normally cheat and leave out this step, but it does make a difference -- especially if you are using organic powdered sugar, which seemed very dense to my eyes before sifting.
Go girls.  We love your recipes!

Can't get to D.C anytime soon?  Check out our other favorite bakers:  Flying Monkey Patisserie which sells its cupcakes at the Reading Terminal Market.

No comments: