Thursday, September 30, 2010

How Do You Like Them Apples?





We love stocking up at our beloved Market, but sometimes we City Gals like to get even closer to the source. I'm heading out for an apple picking excursion with my family on Sunday.   I expect the inevitable groans from my teen and preteen, but I shall ignore them and persist with my plans. I have scouted the following locales, and all seem quite promising:

Linvilla Orchards
Johnson's Farm
Highland Orchards

Highland will likely get my custom because it is in striking distance of Victory, my favorite microbrew, and I will undoubtedly need refreshment after my efforts.  Golden Monkey Tripel Ale is quite special.

And finally, my favorite twist on an oldie but a goodie.  Remember the caramel apples we loved as kids around Halloween?  Well, here's a grown up version with links to ingredient sources:


Caramel Apple Fondue

1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup water
1 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons butter
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp sea salt
4 sliced apples

Pour sugar and water into heavy saucepan.  Cook over medium heat, allowing mixture to bubble for about 8 minutes.  Do not stir.  When sugar begins to caramelize watch it carefully.  Really carefully.  It will go from delicious to tar in nothing flat.  As the sugar browns to the color slightly darker than a camel coat, remove from heat.  Pour in cream; caramel will bubble up noisily.  Stir, and return to very low heat if necessary to remelt sugar.  Remove from heat and add remaining ingredients.  Serve with sliced apples in front of a fire with the apple of your eye.

I promise, he/she will like them apples.

No comments: