Tuesday, July 10, 2012

How To Make Quinoa Tabbouleh




Quinoa--cucumbers--tomatoes--red onions--mint--parsley--a few other basic ingredients, and voila, healthy, deliciousness in a bowl. 

The hostess made this for book group last week and it was a huge hit.  Remember my new year's resolution about eating a variety of grains?  Well, I haven't exactly adhered to it.  Ok, if I'm to be completely honest, I've been a dismal failure.  But this dish reminded me of my intention, so I am trying again.  With summer's arrival, cool, light, grain-based salads make a wonderful healthy meal--or a well-chosen, all-purpose side for a barbecue.

Here's my best guess at the quinoa tabbouleh recipe:

1 cup quinoa
1 large cucumber, seeded, peeled, and chopped
1 pint cherry tomatoes (or 1 large tomato, or 3 plums), chopped
1/2 red onion, chopped
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp each salt and pepper (to taste)

Cook quinoa according to package directions.  (Do not over cook or it will be mushy).  Cool quinoa and mix with remaining ingredients.  Mix, and allow to set for at least 1 hr to blend flavors.  

Quinoa seems to be the new 'it' food--it kinds of eats like a carb but contains substantial amounts of protein.  Works for me.

4 comments:

john said...

Wow, great article, I really appreciate your thought process and having it explained properly, thank you!




Restaurant deals philadelphia

Philly Food Lovers said...

Thanks, John! Hope yours turns out well.

christopherbailey said...

Was dinner tonight. My only thoughts:

a) use best quality olive oil,
b) be prepared to up the olive oil quantity,
c) be prepared to up the lemon juice quantity,
d) more mint.

Will definitely make again, thanks for the recipe!

Philly Food Lovers said...

Great insights, thanks for the feedback!